1. What exactly is a Registered Agent (aka Resident Agent, Statutory Agent or Corporate Agent)?
A Registered Agent acts on a company’s behalf in receiving legal documents such as Service of Process (i.e., Lawsuits, Liens, Subpoenas, etc.), Annual Reports, Tax Correspondence, and other mailings from regulatory agencies.
2. Why do I need a Registered Agent?
Nevada law mandates that every Nevada Company filed with the Secretary of State have a Registered Agent. That includes all Corporations, Limited-Liability Companies (LLCs), Limited Partnerships (LP) and other corporate entity types. The Registered Agent is a matter of public record and is listed with the Secretary of State.
Further information about Nevada Business Entities and Corporate Law can be found at:
3. What happens if I do not have a Registered Agent?
Failure to designate and maintain a Registered Agent may cause a company to fall out of “Good Standing” within Nevada. This will subject its license to do business in Nevada to forfeiture, with monetary penalties assessed to reinstate the company to “Good Standing” again. The failure to register and designate a Registered Agent may also foreclose or hinder a company’s ability to legally enter into contracts and gain access to Nevada courts. It may also subject the company to monetary, civil, and possibly criminal sanctions.
4. What does a Registered Agent do?
The Registered Agent has the primary responsibility for receiving Service of Process (notices of litigation) for your corporation. Service of Process means that you have been served with a writ, complaint or summons to appear in court, so it’s imperative that these documents be received in a timely manner. Other documents often sent to the Registered Agent may be franchise tax documents or annual reports required by the State of Nevada.
5. Why do some Companies charge hundreds of dollars a year to be a Registered Agent?
Most incorporating companies appointed themselves to be the Resident Agent and never give business owners a choice. After the first year, they charge an annual fee and the business owners are unaware that there are other options. We believe that charging hundreds of dollars a year for Resident Agent services is taking advantage of business owners.
6. Why is a Registered Agent important?
The role of a Registered Agent, is an important one. Let’s say your company gets served with legal papers. You have 20 days to respond to the legal papers. If you miss that deadline, the person suing you can win his case without you ever knowing about it. If you do not respond to the person suing you, a default judgment can be entered against your company. If your Registered Agent is on vacation and fails to send you the paperwork, you could be in trouble.
Don’t risk late fees and penalties, or worse yet a default judgment simply because your company could not be served and failed to respond to a court order in the time prescribed by the law.
7. So, who can be a Registered Agent?
There are few restrictions regarding who can be a Registered Agent other than that the person or company must be located and available at a physical street address within the State of Nevada during normal business hours. A post office box does not constitute a physical presence by statutory requirements. It is important that you select a reliable company when choosing your Registered Agent.
8. Can I act as my own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can act as your own Registered Agent as long as you live in Nevada. However having a Registered Agent saves you from potentially being served with legal papers in front of your family, clients, neighbors or vendors. You will also appreciate having a professional Registered Agent service to track and notify you of annual reports being due and other filings that you may have to periodically file.
9. Why would any Nevada based Company hire a Nevada Resident Agent service instead of acting as their own Registered Agent?
Most companies choose to use a professional Registered Agent, such as Nevada Discount Registered Agent, for numerous reasons including:
- Privacy – Avoid having your clients, vendors, or employees encounter a Sheriff or Process Server serving claims at your place of business. For home-based companies, keep your residential address private and not a matter of public record.
- Compliance – Nevada Discount Registered Agent provides clients with a Reminder Service so that you aren’t late for critical filings which simplify the maintenance of corporate compliance with Nevada laws and filing deadlines.
- Efficiency – Make sure that the right person receives any legal documents in a timely manner to protect your company from any delays that could result in a default judgment against your company.
- Adaptability – Save money by not having to pay State fees to update your Registered Agent information each time your company experiences growth and moves.
- Accountability – A professional Registered Agent does not travel or go on vacation, change or terminate employment, or relocate out of Nevada.
Remember: If your Registered Agent is not reliable, you might even lose your Company’s status and pay considerable penalties.
10. Does A Foreign Corporation Have Obligations Other Than NRS 80.190 In Order To Transact Business In Nevada?
Please Check out this Article.
11. What is a Company’s Registered Office address?
Registered Office is defined as the official address of a company, like us, to which official documents are sent and legal notices received. It is normal for the Registered Agent to provide the Registered Office address. A company may have other business and correspondent addresses.
12. How is mail forwarding different with a Nevada Registered Agent?
According to postal regulations over mail forwarding services, you are required to complete a PS Form 1583 and many instances require “PMB” in the mailing address. This stands for Post Mail Box. It tells the sender of the mail that it’s going to be redirected to some other location. Registered Agents are exempted from this requirement.
13. And finally, why should I choose Nevada Discount Registered Agent, Inc.?
- At Nevada Discount Registered Agent, Inc., we know that excellent client service is key and we will prove it to you each day. Over half of our business comes from current clients and referrals from satisfied clients. We care about our clients and take pride in exceptional client service with our “Extra Mile” approach to clients. We prefer to spend money improving our service to you than advertise to add clients!
- Our Fee is only $69.95 per year. We have no plans to increase it.
- There has never been a complaint filed against us.
- Registered Agent Services is our business!
- We specialize exclusively in Nevada Business Entities – not all 50 States. Ask yourself when selecting a Registered Agent–how in the world can somebody be an expert on the laws and statues of every State in the country? You deserve to talk to an expert.
- We take the time to listen to and understand you. We answer your on-going questions about your entity without charge. We communicate with integrity and candor – we simply tell you the truth and we keep our word.
- We realize your company is unique and has different needs, so if there is an important consideration or question, please do not hesitate to ask us and we will find a way to accommodate your specific service needs.
- Registered Agent Services is what we do. And we do it in ways that go well beyond basic requirements. With long standing established protocols and an effective system for Service of Process, we handle your Registered Agent needs in a timely and efficient manner. Whether we are forwarding Official State or Federal Mail, alerting you to Annual Report filing deadlines or handling a Service of Process, we deliver the quality service you expect. As your critical documents arrive, we help you stay in compliance and maintain your company’s cherished Good Standing.
- In the unlikely event that your business is named in a lawsuit, the Service of Process will be handled professionally, confidentially and expeditiously by us. In such matters, time is always of the essence and could be the difference between your corporate shield being intact and impenetrable, or your corporate veil being pierced due to lack of a timely defense.
- We provide a FREE, automated, Reminder Service so that you are never late for critical filings. We e-mail, fax, mail and, if we haven’t heard from you by the deadline – we’ll call you personally so that you’re never unintentionally late.
- We understand that you are busy and filing your Annual List each year is not on the top of your mind. Your business is. It is not easy chasing people down when they are due but we do it to keep you out of trouble. It’s virtually unheard of to find a Registered Agent who will go to that extent to protect a client.
- We NEVER try to sell you unnecessary products or (hidden, billable) services like certified copies, bookkeeping, tapes or manuals, office rent, inflated filing fees, deluxe record books or company seals.
- We will pass onto you ideas to increase the revenue of your business or decrease your expenses through our Newsletter and help desk.
- Our firm, Nevada Discount Registered Agent, Inc. has been a family owned and operated business since 2001. Our main focus is on service not sales. It is our philosophy to provide you with what you need, not with what additional services we might sell you. It is our dedication to and reputation for a superb rating for client service and integrity that has allowed us to grow for over 12 years. As many other Nevada companies have experienced, you can trust Nevada Discount Registered Agent, Inc. to handle all of your Registered Agent and Registered Office needs!